About the bursary
The SU offers Sports Bursaries to students of outstanding sporting ability who show evidence of:
- Achievement at national level or above
- Having represented your region or country competitively
- Having the potential to do so whilst studying at Falmouth or Exeter University in Cornwall.
There is no support offered through the Falmouth and Exeter Students' Union Sports Bursary Scheme to help finance course, tuition or international fees. The Students' Union will make every effort to accommodate your training and performance needs, however no dispensation is offered from the normal course requirements in terms of assessment, progression or final degree classification.
Bursaries are awarded on an annual basis, and are available to all current students of either Falmouth or Exeter University Cornwall campuses, who evidence satisfactory sporting performance, academic progress and general conduct.
Up to eight bursaries can be awarded annually, with a maximum of £1,500 awarded to one individual.
Funding can be used towards legitimate costs incurred to train or compete in your chosen sport.
- Applicants must be a current student on an undergraduate or postgraduate course of Falmouth University or The University of Exeter (Cornwall).
- Applicants need to demonstrate clear evidence of their recent (within 18 months) sporting performance.
Evidence may vary by sport but could include, for example:
- Current international ranking
- Current UK/national ranking
- International Level Representation within a recognised NGB Pathway (Age Group U18 upwards), plus sport specific requirements
- Applicants from team sports will need to differentiate their individual performance and demonstrate, for example, representative honours and/or a realistic expectation of playing at national league level or above
- 'Power of 10' ranking (athletics)
- Continuation of National/International Competition whilst studying at the University (where Covid allows)
The amount awarded is dependent upon:
- Achievements and rankings
- Commitment to chosen sport
- Future aspirations
- Training, travel, competition and equipment requirements
All financial support is accessed through a claim form which will be reviewed by the sport coordinator.
What we can consider contributing towards:
- Competition entry fees
- Gym membership
- Travel and accommodation for competitions
- Essential sports equipment
- Facility and club fees
- Sporting body affiliation
How to apply
Please read all the information and criteria on this page to see whether you are eligible for a Sports Bursary before applying.
The SU Sports Bursary 2020/21 applications are now closed.
Download the Sports Bursary Reference Form (to be completed by a senior coach or NGB Representative).
Sports Bursary Reference Form
Are you a recipient of our Bursary funding? Here’s what you need to do to keep up your end of the deal!
The Students' Union requires an up-to-date list of all competitions/events that you will be participating in during the year. You will be expected to notify us prior to competitions and to submit a brief report after events/competitions as well as termly reports. These reports may be used to promote your successes and those of the campus.
You will also be expected to:
- Meet with a member of The SU Student Opportunities Team to confirm your individual support needs and put a development plan in place.
- Have a professional photo coordinated by The SU and supply some high-quality action/achievement images which will be used to promote you as an athlete and the scheme.
- Provide a written bio and take part in a video interview. These will both be used to raise awareness of you as an athlete and to promote the scheme.
- Provide a full reference from your coach or a member of the sports' Governing Body (as requested in the application form).
- Represent The Students' Union, particularly if BUCS points can be accrued. Where clashes occur between The Students' Union and higher level representative sporting commitments, Bursary recipients are expected to bring these to the attention of The Students' Union Student Opportunities Director.
The SU expects Sports Bursary recipients to make every effort to take part in and support The SU sports campaigns and projects.
How to access the funding
Receipts or proof of purchase will need to be presented to claim the funds. No funds will be released until The Students' Union have received a signed agreement. All fund requests must be claimed no later than 2 July 2021.
For more information
For further details on the scheme, please contact:
Ceri Harvey, Sports Coordinator: Ceri.Harvey@thesu.org.uk