Working for Falmouth and Exeter SU
People are at the heart of all we do and we value and recognise the contributions everyone makes across the union. This includes our students who we represent and our incredible staff team. We are a relatively new employer having transferred staff from Falmouth University in 2020 and this has enabled us to be truly independent and progressive, allowing us to make decisions which best serve our members and our people.
Along with our Mission, Vision and our core Values, we have a set of professional behaviours which are aligned with our strategic plan Here Together 2024, we have developed an internal set of principles to help describe the ways in which we aspire to go about our day to day.
Our Organising Principles underpins everything we do. They inform our day-to-day approach, guide our leadership and are the framework for how we make our decisions. They are a set of expectations – for us as individuals and as well as for others. Throughout your entire journey in the SU, these should be felt in everything we do from our processes, our day-to-day conversations and individual (and collective) behaviours. They are:
- We ensure that we put students at the heart of all we do. Every decision we make considers the impact upon members and is informed by students voices and feedback.
- We consider the impact that we have on the world we live in, ensuring that we take a sustainable approach to all we do.
- We work together to set clear objectives to help drive our work forward.
- We really care about our people and take time to focus upon our staff team and their well-being.
- Our success comes through teamwork and communication. Teams and working groups are empowered to make their own decisions and encouraged to take action and share progress and successes.
- We collaborate and co-create with students, refreshing our approaches to continually evolve.
- We take pride in our approach to service delivery and developing meaningful relationships with our members.
- We like to experiment with new ideas and innovations to help us continually improve what we do with our students; learning from our experiences as we go.
- We take our time to plan, ensuring that we build in time to think things through, but knowing that there will be many times where we need to react, respond, and take swift action.
- We are supportive and constantly strive to create a fulfilling environment where everybody feels able to bring their whole selves to work and this is celebrated.
- We aim to deepen our understanding and benefit from a range of perspectives through open discussions and reflections. This means we can ensure decisions align with our direction, we represent everyone we serve, and we learn from our mistakes.
- We enjoy what we do.
Joining us to provide a world class student experience also gives you access to a wide range of benefits, reflecting what is important to us. These benefits (for permanent staff) are:
- We are a Real Living wage employer – we only offer roles which meet the real living wage or higher.
- Workplace Pension – we offer a great pension offering up to 12% employers’ contribution
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays and discretionary days off.
- Day off for your birthday.
- Flexible and hybrid working – it’s important to get the balance right for you so we have policies to allow for flexible and hybrid working.
- Team ‘chill out’ days twice a year – paid days whereby we as a team get out of the office and enjoy each other company away from the usual business – previous team days have been spent on the beach, playing games, making festive wreaths, lunch out, spa days – these are organised by the staff team so everyone can contribute.
- Volunteer days– do you want to support a cause special to your heart? We pay for you to spend two days a year to work with another charity.
- Group Life insurance covering you should anything happen.
- Access to an online GP, psychologist, nutritionist, and health plans.
- Free eye checks and access to counselling.
- Progressive, generous policies that support you and your family.
- Eligible to apply for Totum card offering lots of discounts on shops and online stores.
- Finally we are a learning and development organisation – providing training and support for you to develop in your career is really important to us (even if that means you move on!) We want our people to grow and be challenged and we support you financially with this.