Hi everyone! There’s been lots going on with welfare and inclusivity and I wanted to share our recent successes at the EDI Tables online discussion, that I hosted with the SU’s Student Voice Coordinator (Welfare & Liberation), Ellie Howell.
We hosted the event on Teams and got the event put on student timetables in the hopes of gathering a broad range of feedback from you on equality, diversity and inclusion on our campuses. We were joined by Paula Sanderson, Managing Director at Falmouth Exeter Plus. This allowed attendees to take their feedback directly to senior staff and create an open discussion.
At the event, we discussed catering, food, accessibility, inclusion, creating an inclusive environment for international students, creating a multicultural atmosphere and accommodation.
Paula gave direct feedback on some of these points which the SU intends to continue following up, such as:
- Creation of a digital map is being made of Falmouth and Penryn campuses, it will highlight accessible routes and rest spaces.
- Improving communication from the accessibility team to students throughout the duration of their studies.
- FXPlus undertake an annual accessibility review – the SU will look out for this review and ensure student voice is included.
- Sharing a request for FXPlus to add phonetic pronunciation of names on email footers.
- The full review of catering services on campuses, looking at their food options, provisions as well as food prices on the campus shop and in the cafes.
- Better support for international students across both Universities, with more events specifically aimed to brining the international student community together.
As well as feedback, this opportunity also highlighted updates from FXPlus in response to feedback raised. This included more microwaves being added on the Penryn campus (coming to the Upper Stannary) following on from the new additions at AMATA. This allows more people to save money by bringing their own meals, as well as heating up food during the late night sessions at the library!
There is also a new prayer space underway at the bottom of Tremough House on Penryn Campus, which is much bigger than the current one in the Multifaith Chaplaincy. However, this highlighted the need for a space at the Falmouth Campus which Paula noted and took on board.
I was so pleased to see so many of you attend the session and for there to be an open dialogue on what really needs to be improved! Thank you Paula for coming along and taking so many comments on board, it’s really positive to have students at the Students’ Union being able to work closer with FXPlus to place student needs on equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of the decisions being made.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com !