Welfare Benefits

Additional help is available for students with dependents, disabled students, and Universal Credit.

Eligibility: full-time students

As a general rule, full-time students are not entitled to means-tested welfare benefits.
Nevertheless, there are exceptions, including:

  • Lone parents
  • Students who live with a partner and have at least one dependent child
  • Disabled students

Lone parents

  • A lone parent of a child under 5 years, may be entitled to Income Support.
  • If you are a lone parent and your youngest child is 5 or older, you may be able to claim Jobseekers’ Allowance (JSA) during the summer vacation.
  • You qualify for Housing Benefit (HB) if you are a lone parent with a dependent child or qualifying young person under 20.

Students who live with a partner and have at least one dependent child

  • You will also be entitled to Housing Benefit if you and your partner are both full-time students and you have a dependent child, if you are in receipt of a disability benefit, or if you are certified as severely sight-impaired or blind.
  • One of you may also make a joint claim for Jobseekers’ Allowance in the summer vacation.

Disabled students

  • If you are already in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you should be able to continue your claim whilst studying. You are also entitled to make a new claim for PIP to assist with any day-to-day living or mobility problems.
  • In some circumstances, full-time students in receipt of either DLA or PIP may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). If you were already in receipt of ESA prior to becoming a student, you may still be able to continue your claim.

Eligibility: part-time students

Part-time students may be entitled to receive Universal Credit (UC).

Universal Credit replaces six existing benefits: Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support
Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

If you are already claiming one of those other benefits, you should continue to do so.

Getting advice

If you think you might be entitled to any welfare benefits or have a problem with your existing benefit entitlement, you can book an appointment with one of our advisers.

Book an appointment

If you have a question for a Students’ Union adviser, email it to advice@thesu.org.uk.

Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union logo

Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union
Penryn Campus
Penryn, Cornwall
TR10 9FE

© Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union 2021

Falmouth & Exeter Students’ Union is a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) registered in England and Wales, charity number 1193045