Student Finance: Postgraduates

Everything you need to know about masters loans and doctoral loans.


Subject to satisfying the eligibility criteria, most UK postgraduate students can apply for a postgraduate loan. Each of the home nations has its own student funding agency:

  • England
  • Northern Ireland
  • Scotland
  • Wales

Each of the home nations has its own postgraduate loan scheme, though there tends to be two types of loan:

  • Masters loan
  • Doctoral loan

The loan is intended to help with tuition fees and/or basic living and study costs such as rent, food, travel and books.

Find out more

Getting advice

If you think you might be entitled to any welfare benefits or have a problem with your existing benefit entitlement, you can book an appointment with one of our advisers.

Book appointment

Alternatively, email your enquiry to

Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union logo

Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union
Penryn Campus
Penryn, Cornwall
TR10 9FE

© Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union 2021

Falmouth & Exeter Students’ Union is a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) registered in England and Wales, charity number 1193045