About the committee
The Green Council includes:
- President Student Experience - Ellie Ricks
- Environmental and Ethics Officer - Leela Channer
- Waste and Recycling Officer - Rada Pandeva
- Bio-diversity and Estates Officer - Ben Oakes
- Energy and Water Officer - Lara Cripps
- Green Travel Officer - Lucy Rock
- Food Officer - Sam Turner
Now that both universities have declared a climate emergency, it's more important than ever that our student representation for sustainability is working well and applying pressure to FX Plus and the universities to make sure change happens.
Achievements so far
- Trialled in February, the Green Council have worked hard to promote Meat-Free Mondays in The Stannary. Although not all meat options have been removed, there has been a significant increase in vegetarian and vegan options on offer.
- The Food Committee have undertaken meetings with FX Plus to put forward ideas for the Sustainability Cafe menu and plans for the future of our campus.
- Prior to lockdown, plans were being put in place for a summer Swap Shop on campus. Although this is currently on hold, it will be something to consider implementing for the future.
- Improved communications on food waste processing and Vegware disposal are currently in progress for the Green Council and FX Plus, ensuring the most environmentally friendly methods are being used by all.
- The Green Council have shared communications and helped to promote the free £50 public transport credit available to students to ensure more are opting to use public transport.
- The Green Council have requested building-specific energy data to be displayed on screens around campus as a result of student feedback. FX Plus are working on this
- Supported by the Campaigns and Events Fund and Green Living, The Green Council are working on a new and exciting project to develop the Edible Pathways initiative. This will provide signage for areas of biodiversity and edible food plants, as well as plant new edible fruit trees and plants around campus.
Sustainability is more important than ever, and we all have our parts to play to create a better world for People and Planet. Shifting towards more sustainable ways of thinking and acting is easier than you think, and we’ve got a host of events to help you do so!
Explore what’s in store for Sustainability Week, a campaign we co-delivering annually with the Universities. In this week we host a series of events set to enable you to realise your personal impacts, inspire you to want to adopt sustainable changes in your life, and empower you with the knowledge & skills you need to do so!
Below you can check out all the recording of the event's we hosted for Sustainability Week 2021.