The senior student representative, representing all students studying in their subject at undergraduate or postgraduate taught level. Subject Chairs work closely with Exeter University staff and the Students’ Union (SU) to achieve positive change for students within their subject.
Term of Office
One academic year
- To deliver a collaborative approach to the role by working with the University and SU to support and facilitate the student representation system.
- Work with, and support the Reps in your subject to promote, gather and deliver effective student feedback on the whole student experience.
- Chair Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC), including: setting the agenda, promoting constructive dialogue in the meeting and assigning, and monitoring the completion of actions captured in the Student Voice Action Plan (SVAP)
- Meet regularly with the Director of Education to discuss the SVAP and common academic issues / ideas logged in the Rep Online System (ROS), and seek to resolve / implement these in a timely and informal manner wherever possible.
- Be aware of common themes arising from student feedback within the subject and present these at Subject Chair Working Group and College level meetings as appropriate.
- Ensure any issues / ideas are: Accurate, Balanced, Constructive, Depersonalised and Evidenced, before presenting them in a professional and proactive manner.
- In collaboration with staff, keep Course Reps updated on the progress of feedback for sharing with the wider student community
- Represent the student voice of the subject in strategic activity, such as feeding into Department and College level action planning / reporting.
- SU Subject Chair Training
- Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC) [Chair] 2 x term
- Subject Chair Working Group (SCWG) 2 x term
- SU Big Rep Meeting 2 x year
- College level meetings, as appropriate
- Informal meetings with University staff, and/or SU
- SU Presidents
- Director of Education
- SU Education Officer
- Student Communities & Partnerships staff
- SU Student Voice Coordinator (Exeter)
- Course Reps (within Subject)