A Gender Expression Fund within our student union serves as an important and inclusive resource for supporting students' diverse gender identities and expressions. Here are several reasons why I wanted this fund to be accessible for you:
- Promoting Inclusivity and Diversity: A Gender Expression Fund demonstrates my commitment to fostering an inclusive campus environment where all students, regardless of their gender identity, feel welcomed and supported.
- Financial Accessibility: Gender expression can involve various costs, such as clothing, grooming products, binders, wigs, makeup, and more. Some students may face financial barriers in accessing these items, and the fund can help tackle those challenges.
- Reducing Stigma: Gender non-conforming and transgender individuals can face societal stigma. Having a fund that provides financial support for gender expression-related needs can help reduce the burden of financial stress and contribute to a more positive and affirming campus culture.
- Mental Health and Well-being: Allowing students to authentically express their gender can have positive effects on mental health and overall well-being. When students can present themselves in a way that aligns with their identity, it can boost self-esteem and confidence.
- Advocacy and Visibility: The presence of a Gender Expression Fund highlights our advocacy for LGBTQ+ rights and gender equality. It sends a message that the SU values and respects all gender identities and expressions.
- Peer Support: The fund can help create a sense of community and belonging among gender diverse students by providing a platform for networking and mutual support.
- Campus Culture: By establishing such a fund, the students' union can contribute to shaping a more inclusive campus culture where diversity is celebrated, and biases and prejudices are challenged.
- Raising Awareness: The mere existence of the fund can raise awareness about the importance of respecting and supporting gender diversity. It can encourage discussions and conversations that lead to increased understanding and empathy among students.
To find out more, head to the Gender Expression fund information page.
If you have any questions, please pop into the office for a chat!