Medical Students

We’ve pulled together some handy need-to-know finance information specific to the nature of your degree, along with some general and budgeting advice to help you along the way. You can also book a meeting with one of our advisers for tailored advice.
Piles of coins

Funding for undergraduate students on standard five-year courses

Gaining admission to the standard five-year courses means you are entitled to receive student loans (for maintenance and tuition fees) from the student funding authority of the home nation in which you are resident at the start of your course.

Students whose residence is in England

For students resident in England, from year five onwards, tuition fees will be paid by the NHS Student Bursary Scheme and you will be eligible to apply for a means-tested NHS bursary to cover maintenance costs and a reduced maintenance loan from your student funding agency.  In contrast, students whose residence is in one of the other home nations will continue to receive their funding from that nation’s student funding authority.


Each of the home nations has its own student funding authority:

  • England
  • Northern Ireland
  • Scotland
  • Wales

Tuition fees loan

UK and EU undergraduate students can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of course fees whilst you are at University

The Student Loans Company pays tuition fees direct to the University.

Maintenance loan

Subject to satisfying the eligibility criteria, most UK students can also apply for a maintenance loan.  This is intended to help with basic living and study costs such as rent, food, travel and books.
For most students, the amount of maintenance loan a student is entitled to borrow is calculated by reference to household income. 
The Student Loans Company pays a maintenance loan direct to the student in three instalments – at the start of each of the University’s three terms.

You can use the online student finance calculator to get an idea of how much money you may receive.


To help you get a better understanding of your spending and how to manage it more effectively, download a student budgeting spreadsheet here.

Getting advice

You can book an appointment with one of our advisers here. Alternatively, email your enquiry to

Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union logo

Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union
Penryn Campus
Penryn, Cornwall
TR10 9FE

© Falmouth & Exeter Students' Union 2021

Falmouth & Exeter Students’ Union is a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) registered in England and Wales, charity number 1193045