Academic Advice, University of Exeter



In each of the sections below you will find information on academic advice and support specific to your University. You can view and download detailed PDF’s on each topic - this is handy if you want to save these documents to your files, should you need to revisit them at a later date or offline.


Academic Appeals

The information set out in the PDF below is general guidance for University of Exeter students. It should not be seen as a definitive statement of the University’s appeals policy and procedure.


It is worth starting by making the point that the impact of Covid-19 does not change the University’s appeals procedure nor the type of ground of appeal on which a student might base their appeal. Covid-19’s impact on you might be a relevant fact in an appeal, but the simple fact of Covid-19 is not in itself a ground of appeal.

Academic Misconduct

Academic misconduct can relate to both coursework and exams, whether written, oral or practical.


Academic misconduct can involve any of the following ‘activities’:


  • Plagiarism: including copying from authors, not using quotation marks or taking sections from other people’s work and altering it to make it look like your own.

  • Self-plagiarism: using parts of an assignment or other piece of work that you have previously submitted for assessment.

  • Collusion: unauthorised collaboration with another students, including copying from other students or allowing your work to be copied.

  • Attempting to gain an unfair advantage: for example, paying someone to do your work, falsifying data and taking unauthorised material into an exam


This is not an exhaustive list.


Each of the two Universities divides academic misconduct into different categories by reference the severity of the alleged misconduct:


  • Exeter: poor academic practice, academic misconduct and severe academic misconduct

  • Falmouth: minor offence and major offence


As you might expect, the more serious the alleged offence, the more serious is the potential penalty.


Academic integrity sits at the heart of what the Universities do, so that they are entitled to treat it as a serious issue. The most serious cases can lead to a student being expelled.


Getting Advice - The Advice Service can advise you on the relevant regulations, help you to put together your response to the allegation and accompany you to meetings or hearings.


Each of the Universities procedures includes a timetable for dealing with academic misconduct. The deadlines can be tight so don’t delay in getting advice.


You can book an appointment with one of our advisers here. Alternatively, email your enquiry to


In the higher education context, student complaints can be divided into two types:


  • Academic-related complaints: matters relating to course delivery and your ability to study effectively.

  • Non-academic complaints: matters that relate to your life at university that fall outside the academic context.

An academic complaint is likely to be a complaint against your University. So too might a non-academic complaint. However, the position is made a bit more complicated by the fact of the two Universities share several facilities and amenities, including the library and catering, both of which are run by FX Plus.


View or download the PDF linked below for a full breakdown of Complaints Procedures




Students studying at the Falmouth, Penryn and Truro campuses are part of the wider academic and local communities and are expected to adhere to their respective University’s rules and regulations.


Students whose conduct breaches those rules and regulations may find themselves subject to their University’s disciplinary procedure.


Where any misconduct relates to examinations and academic work, such as plagiarism or cheating you should refer first to our Academic Misconduct advice above.


View or download the PDF linked below for information on Disciplinary Procedures




In circumstances where you are ill or your studies have been affected by another serious incident or event, you may want to extend or defer a coursework and/or exam deadline. Mitigation is the process by which a student can apply.


Most mitigation applications relate to ill health and bereavement. However, students sometimes need to ask for help for all sorts of other reasons. Generally, the situation should be something that you could not reasonably have anticipated or prepared for. Below is a non-exhaustive list of reasons a student might refer to when applying for mitigation:


  • Serious short-term illness- therefore not including minor colds/ailments

  • Accidents of a nature which in an employment context would have led to an absence on sick leave

  • Bereavement (for example death of close relative / significant other)

  • Students who have an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) in place, that states ‘extension supported'

  • Evidence of a flare up/exacerbation in a long-term fluctuating health condition/ disability

  • Significant worsening in any adverse personal / welfare circumstances

  • Caring responsibilities e.g. where pre-established caring arrangements temporarily break down

  • Involvement in a serious police incident (e.g. assault, accident)

  • Sickness of a family member (probably you’ll have to provide independent evidence of the impact on you)

  • Jury service


Bear in mind that ordinarily you will need to evidence your circumstances.


Before applying for mitigation, you might want to contact the University’s Cornwall Campus Mitigation Team:


In addition, the University’s Mitigation FAQs is a useful source of information.


When you’re ready to apply for mitigation, you can download a copy of the relevant form here – see ‘Apply for mitigation’.


Getting Advice - You can get advice from the Students’ Union’s Advice Service. You can book an appointment with one of our advisers here. Alternatively, email your enquiry to


Health, Wellbeing & Support for Study

The University’s Health, Wellbeing and Support for Study Procedure is intended to serve as an alternative to other means of managing concerns over a student’s behaviour, attendance or academic progress, where:


  • Mental or physical ill health or disability could be a contributory factor; or

  • The behaviour could affect the health, safety or wellbeing of other people


You can access a full copy of the policy and procedure here.


Examples of when the University might use the procedure include:


  • Students who have an individual learning plans in place and are struggling to manage their studies or other elements of their course.

  • Students who are not attending, submitting work and repeatedly not responding to College emails.

  • Students with complex personal circumstances (for example, health, family and/or financial issues).

  • Students who regularly submit mitigation applications as a result of ongoing health concerns.

  • Students whose health, wellbeing and behaviour is causing concern to others (even though there may be no negative impact on their academic work and progression). 

  • Students whose behaviour is impacting on the health and safety of other people.



The Procedure comprises three levels:


  • Level 1 is used when there are emerging concerns about a student’s health, wellbeing and/ or behaviour and the impact this has on their ability to progress on a course or at University. Such concerns may include significant deterioration in health, appearance, attitude, particularly where there is an impact on attendance, ability to meet deadlines, succeed academically, or participate in normal student life.

  • Level 2 is used where there is continued and ongoing concern following Level 1, or when there is significant concern about a student’s health, wellbeing, behaviour, safety and/or ability to study, and where a higher level response from the College and/or wider University is required. 

  • Level 3 is used where there is serious or persistent concern about a student’s health, wellbeing and/or behaviour, safety and/or ability to study and cope at University. In most cases escalation to this level will follow attempts to address concerns through Levels 1 and 2, and all other options for support have been exhausted..



The process exists to support students. Nevertheless, it can lead to outcomes that have significant consequences for the student involved including, for instance, short-term suspension, interruption and even withdrawal.


Therefore, if you are subject to the procedure, it is important to get advice promptly.


Getting Advice - You can get advice from the Students’ Union’s Advice Service. You can book an appointment with one of our advisers here. Alternatively, email your enquiry to



The notes set out below apply to undergraduate students who receive statutory student funding (i.e. loan and/or grant through one of the student funding agencies like Student Finance England). If you’re not an undergraduate and/or are funded in some other way, make an appointment to speak to a Students’ Union (SU) adviser – see Getting Advice (below).


Tuition fees

During 2020-21, undergraduate tuition fees are £9,250. The Student Loans Company pays those fees in three instalments at the beginning of each term: Terms 1 and 2 (£2,312.50); and Term 3 (4,625).


Once the term has started, a student is liable for that term’s fees instalment. Therefore, if towards the end of one term you’re considering whether to withdraw, there’s likely to be a financial benefit in reaching a decision before the start of the next term.


Maintenance grants and loans

As a general rule, a student is entitled to receive their maintenance funding while attending. It follows that a student who withdraws loses that entitlement.



If a student withdraws part way through a term, probably this will result in them having received an overpayment of their maintenance funding.


For example, if a student has received a maintenance loan of £2,000 at the start of their second term and interrupts exactly halfway through the period to which that money relates, they’ll be entitled to half only. The other half will be deemed to be an overpayment, which falls due for immediate repayment. Your student funding agency will write to you to confirm the amount of any overpayment.


If you can’t afford to repay the money immediately, contact your student funding to discuss repaying over a longer period. It’s quite common for students not to be in a position to repay immediately, so don’t worry about it. But, don’t ignore it either – instead, make the call.


Future funding entitlement

Before reaching a decision to withdraw, if you’re also considering doing another course in the future, it’s advisable to consider whether you’ll have sufficient years funding entitlement to complete the new course.


A student’s full funding entitlement (i.e. including a tuition fees loan) is calculated by reference to a simple formula:


Ordinary duration of the course (in years) + 1 year - Any previous years of study in higher education


Problems can arise if the student has previous years’ study - on either their current course or an earlier course. For the purpose of calculating entitlement, as little as 1 day’s attendance counts as a whole year. If you’d like to find out more about this, make an appointment to speak to an FXU adviser.



If once you’ve withdrawn you intend staying somewhere other than in your current accommodation, you’ll need to check the terms of the tenancy or accommodation agreement to see if you have an ongoing liability to pay the rent.


In general, if you live in halls of residence, under the terms of your accommodation agreement, you’ll have to move out. You’ll be liable to pay the rent up until the day you move out plus any contractual notice period.


If you live in private sector rented accommodation the position tends not to be as straightforward – for example, it’s rare for a tenancy agreement to include a break clause, so that your liability to pay rent continues. If you’d like to find out more about this, make an appointment to speak to an SU adviser.


Council Tax

Once you’ve withdrawn, you’ll lose your exemption from paying Council Tax.


Getting Advice - You can get advice from the Students’ Union’s Advice Service. You can book an appointment with one of our advisers here. Alternatively, email your enquiry to




Getting Advice:

You can get advice from the Students’ Union’s Advice Service on any of the topics listed above. Book an appointment with one of our advisers using the link below. Alternatively, email your enquiry to