SU President Welfare & Inclusivity
I’m Allie Guy, your first ever President Welfare & Inclusivity. Although the title has changed my remit stays pretty similar to your previous President Community & Welfare but with a stronger focus on the inclusion of all students, no matter your background. My main role is to support students outside of their academic studies. This includes assisting student communities, developing and encouraging the creation of welfare campaigns and maintaining and improving student welfare services. To summarise, my job is about everything and anything concerning your welfare and inclusion during your time at University.
During my year in this role I aim to:
Revamp the hate crime reporting tool ‘TellMe’
Continue the Voices project
Develop a Students’ Union Housing Charter
Develop a range of animal volunteering opportunities around the Falmouth and Penryn area
Continue the push for gender-neutral toilets
Create a welfare training programme which will be available to staff and students
And much more
University can be one of the most amazing experiences but if you find that you’re having a bad day or something a little more serious has happened then I’m your first port of call. Come to me for a chat, to share an idea or find out about what welfare services are available to you and I’ll see what we, as your Students’ Union, can do to help you make the most of your time at university.
Roles and responsibilities
- Community & welfare representation
- Liberation and faith
- Equality & diversity
- TOWN & GOWN
- Widening student participation
- Local community
- Private housing and quality accommodation
- Health, happiness, and wellbeing
- Sexual, mental and physical health
- Disability and specific learning differences
- Fighting hate crime & supporting students
- Liaising with student support services, living support, the police, multifaith chaplaincy and the FXU Advice Service
- Diversity and Inclusion - Make sure that all students feel included during their time at university, including celebrating key liberation and international events, as well as diversifying our curriculum.
- Revamp TellMe - Redesign the platform so that it is more accessible to the students and staff who require it. Also push for more parity between the reporting systems of Falmouth University and The University of Exeter.
- Clamp down on rogue letting agents - Collaborate with local estate agents and establish a Students’ Union Housing Charter Mark, protecting you and your rights in the community.
- Even more Voices - Grow the Voices project, ensuring it is embedded in university strategy, develops into an online platform and produces the great quality publications that we all know and love.
- Improve staff welfare training - Create an extensive, student- led, welfare programme of training for all staff on trans and non-binary equality, accessible teaching and learning, the black attainment gap and decolonising the curriculum, and improving the international student experience.
Don't forget, you're always welcome to visit the The Students' Union office for a chat and a cuppa.