SU President Student Experience
Hiya, I'm Sarah Redman, the SU President Student Experience, and I represent students from both Falmouth University and the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campuses. This basically means that it is my job to oversee facilities (the space and things you use), student opportunities (the stuff you do outside of your studies) and sustainability (to help make our campuses cleaner and greener).
There are absolutely tonnes of things for you to get involved in whilst you’re at university, from sports clubs, to societies, to events and trips, and the best part is that they’re all designed to help you meet like-minded people and have a great time. We also run projects like ResLife and Choose Your Day, which you can join at any time.
The SU is very student-led, so there are many opportunities for you to get involved and, if you’d like to, improve your leadership and organisation skills. If you have an idea that you want to make a reality, whether that’s setting up a new group or something even whackier, let me know and I will see how I can help. If you want to really put your skills to the test, you can become a representative for students and help feed back to the SU on anything from sport, to jacket potatoes, to future building projects. Exciting, right?!
Alongside the extra-curricular stuff, I am also the main link between the students and the commercial services, such as the Stannary Bar, Fox Café, the shops, the Sports Centre and more. I also work with FX Plus owned and managed accommodation such as Glasney, Packsaddle, the Sidings and more. Plus, now that both universities have declared climate emergency (you're welcome), I help to make sure that our campuses are as green as they can possibly be. Finally, I work with the library and IT, as well as on the estates and transport. If you have any queries or feedback on our facilities, feel free to drop me a message, as your feedback is really, really important!
I'm here to help you, whether that is listening to your concerns, helping you to get involved, or making an idea into a reality. I look forward to meeting you all soon and make sure to add me on Facebook to stay tuned.
Roles and responsibilities
- Student opportunities - including sports clubs, societies, volunteering and fundraising
- Sustainability - including carbon use, water and energy, biodiversity and estates, green travel, catering and procurement, and waste and recycling
- Accommodation - covering university owned and managed accommodation and including ResLife
- Events - from Freshers to Graduation
- Commercial facilities - including the bars, shops, outlets, sports centre and more
- Estates - including the construction of new buildings, social and study spaces, the library and resources
- IT and digital - covering IT spaces, online learning platforms and timetabling
Don't forget, you're always welcome to visit the The Students' Union office for a chat and a cuppa.